Tuesday, May 25, 2010

30th Birthday Bash...Literally!



On Saturday, November 21, 2009, my best friend Dawn celebrated her 30th birthday.  Dawn and I have been best friends from birth sooo, 30 years and some change.  Since this was the first birthday we had spent together in a while...at least since elementary school, I decided to go all out and throw her a big shin-dig!  We had dinner and cake and lots of laughter planned for the evening.  Trust me when I say, the picture definitely helps out the look of this cake...there were quite a few flaws to it...

We finished with a night of bar-hopping, finally closing down MJ Barleyhoppers.  I generally don't drink at the bars because I can't stand beer and my "foo-foo" drinks are expensive so I chose to be the DD for the evening.  There were 5 of us piled in our van, Dawn, Mike, Koleen, Brad & myself...leaving Dawn's car & Koleen's car parked in front of our house.  Off we went for our evening of fun!

Dawn, Koleen & I

Bradley & I

At 2:00am when the bar closed down, we headed for home.  Remember what I said earlier...5 of us in one vehicle...2 vehicles remained at the house.  Uh huh, sure!  We came home to one van full of 4 "very happy folks" and 1 driver thinking...where the heck are the other two cars?  It didn't take long for the 4 "very happy folks" to turn into 3 "not-so happy folks" and 1 "very concerned husband of driver".  I immediately ran inside and dialed 911.  After giving the dispatcher my information...twice...she informed me that police were on the way to talk to us and that sometime after midnight, a drunk driver had driven off the road and into both cars and that a tow-truck had come to pull both of them out of our yard.  WHAT?!?!?!

After the Deputy arrived to talk to the hysterical group of folks, we learned that the driver was obviously intoxicated and was driving at a higher rate of speed than the norm.  He totalled both cars, leaving them in our front yard...and had continued to drive.  Another driver witnessed the crash and called 911.  Just under the Southway bridge (probably a mile from our house), a Deputy was waiting.  From what I believe, the Deputy had already pulled the driver over before the announcement came across the radio due to severe damage and no headlight.  The driver tried to deny that he had anything to do with the crash, while sitting in an obviously wrecked vehicle and no headlight, but as the Deputy said, "Are you sure you want to deny that?"  To which the driver finally admitted..."No."

So, he was hauled off to jail and Dawn, Mike, Brad & I tried to calm a very overly-freaked out Koleen.  Once it was all said and done and everyone in bed, it was around 5am.  Here is a picture of Koleen's car since I don't have any of Dawn's...


No comments: