Monday, July 14, 2008

Bed Rest Update

First, I would like to say a BIG "Thank You!" to everyone who has been praying for my mom. My family, especially my parents, have been through so much this year that they need all the help they can get. I thought I'd give everyone an update on how she's been doing since being restricted to her bed.

Monday went well, she stayed in bed the entire day with the exception of two trips to the hospital for shots and blood draws and the same for Tuesday. By Wednesday, she was SICK of her room. For a couple days, she went to my Grandma's house (just across the drive way) and laid in her recliner all day long. We thought things were going well. They did decide that her blood wasn't thinning as fast as they would like so they doubled her shots. Instead of getting two a day, she started getting four a day PLUS blood draws. These shots burn and leave her abdomen completely bruised. They have to poke a different spot each time so she has about three or four lines across her belly of just bruise marks. I feel so bad for her. She decided that the medicine was starting to make her nauseous and so about twice a day, she would get a little irritable and need to just have some peace and quiet...not easy when you have three kids who love their Nana and especially love her when she doesn't get out of bed all day. But, we've managed.

Today, she went in at 8:00am to get her shot and when she came home, she laid on my bed so she could go through some of the paperwork with me in the office rather than me shuttling it back and forth between the two rooms. She started to feel nauseous and light headed so she decided to go get in her own bed. About 10 minutes later, she told me that she really wasn't feeling well and that she thought I better take her to the hospital. My uncle has been up visiting but at this particular moment, he was already in town (my parents live 6 miles from town) so I had to run across the driveway and tell my grandma to take her to the hospital so I could get the three kids together and take them to the babysitter. We all made it to the hospital and waited for test results. They ran an EKG on her and the reading came back abnormal so they thought she might have had a heart attack...Negative. Then, they thought the blood clot had moved...Negative. She had an abnormal reading on her liver but they decided that was just from a reaction to the shots and all the other medicine she has been taking as well as the other symptoms.

But, that's not the best part. You see, since this has all started, she has been seeing one Dr. but he is partners with another Dr. Well, her main Dr. was gone for whatever reason during the middle of last week and the second Dr. decided to double her dosage of shots (like I said previously), without talking to her first Dr. Today, in the emergency room, she saw her main Dr. and let's just say, he wasn't happy at all! This has happened quite a bit lately with her care and I've just come to the conclusion that the credibility of Grangeville's Syringa General Hospital is lacking and making it more like a "band-aid station" than a hospital. They are an acute care hospital but come on, a little communication would really make things run a lot smoother.

So anyway, it turned out to be a minor complication and all is well again. She doesn't have to take any more shots (at this point in time) which is nice but she still needs to go in and have blood draws to make sure her blood is continuing to stay as thin as they want it. The poor woman must feel more like a pin cushion these days than a human. After our three hour stay in the hospital, it was back home to bed and now, she must really stay in bed...no recliners or air mattresses...she's not happy because her wonderful, cheery and peaceful room now feels like a prison for her. Hopefully she'll be having an ultrasound later in the week and we'll know if the clots...yes ladies and gentlemen, she has three of them, have reduced in size.

So please, keep up the good work praying for her and my entire family as we continue to struggle through all the issues we are faced with.

THANK YOU!!!

No comments: